Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Mother's Love

   In light of this weekend being Mother's Day, I would like to dedicate this blog to mothers, especially mine. A mother's love is so unconditional. Proverbs 1:8 tells us we are to not forsake the "law of thy mother." (see Proverbs 1:8). Unfortunately,  I did this all too often as a teenager (that makes me sound old). I always ended up regretting it. But you know what? She loves me anyway. No matter how many times I fall or mess up, she is right there to comfort me and love me. My mom, Angela, is the best mom in the world. To this day I do not know how she is not in an insane asylum with how me and my 4 younger siblings act sometimes.
    In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni talks about charity:
"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things." (Moroni 7:45).
   These is the easiest way I can explain how my mother is. She "suffereth long" because she has 5 kids and we all drive her crazy sometimes. She has unparalleled patience with us. My mother is one of the kindest people I know. She is not envious or puffed up. She is very humble. She never seeks "her own." I always see her doing something for someone else: laundry, making dinner, cleaning, driving kids to school, relief society projects, all these things and never a second to herself. She is definitely not easily provoked. Sometimes I don't know how she doesn't beat me and my siblings. She shows us love and when it is time for discipline, it is done in a loving, constructive manner. My mom is very sensitive to the Spirit. She "thinketh no evil." The Spirit is ever present in our home. She never rejoices in iniquity. I always have seen her doing good for other people. She is a huge reason why our family has a strong Christian foundation. She rejoices in truth. My mom taught us to tell the truth. She showed us the truth by taking us to church and teaching us God's way. She "beareth all things." My mom has endured so much. But she keeps going. No rest for the weary. If she gets 2 hours of sleep, she gets through it. There are mouths to feed, people to take to school/practice, meals to cook. She has superhuman abilities to get through the day, with zero complaints. She "believeth all things." She raised us in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She believes in Christ. She believes in our Heavenly Father and His plan. And she has taught that to us. She "hopeth all things." She has such a bright hope for all of us, her children. She sees the good in everyone. My mom "endureth all things." After all that me and my siblings have put her through, she still loves us. Unconditionally. Sometimes I wonder how in the world she is still walking and not sleeping. My mother is a great example of endurance and love. She is a wonderful exemplar of the Savior's love.
   So if my mom loves me so much after all I have put her through, wow... I can't even comprehend the love my Heavenly Father has for me. If you were lucky enough to grow up with a mother like mine, pray to your Heavenly Father tonight and thank Him profusely for such a great blessing. If perhaps you did not, there is one who will always love you unconditionally and will always have arms wide open for you. Your Heavenly Father. He loves you. His love is perfect. And it's perfect for you. It's perfect for me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'd like to meet this woman you speak of. In the meantime, the woman who is playing the part of your mother thanks you for your kind and inspiring words. I'm nowhere near perfect and thank goodness you seem to have forgotten the times I lost my cool. To paraphrase another familiar truth, there is no greater joy [for a mother] than to know [her] children walk in righteousness before God. Elder Lee, you are a gift to your mother. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete