Friday, August 31, 2012

Football and Family

   God loves us so much. He truly wants us to be happy in this life. That is why He gave us families. Families are ordained of God. (Meaning marriage between a man and woman is a divine principle, not just a nice suggestion). My family means so much to me. Being a missionary, you can't see your family for 2 years. And throughout my mission I have realized times when I took my family for granted. It's the old saying "You don't know what you have until you lose it." I had great parents who taught me the ways of our Lord. I am the oldest of 5 children in my family. I have so many great memories with my family.
   The reason why I annoy people with how much I love sports is because I associate my passion for sports with my family. I grew up watching games on TV with my dad, going to Padres games with my family, and just spending quality time together watching a game or going to one. My dad was also my baseball coach in for 6 years. That really meant a lot to me as well. He took the time from work and his church obligations to teach me and my peers the game of baseball.That meant the world to me. He took the time to take road trips and take me to a BYU football game. I have so many great memories that tie in sports with my family. My family is everything.
   God intended for all of us to grow in a loving, united family, an atmosphere conducive to the Spirit and to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is not only the chief cornerstone of this church (Ephesians 2:20), but should also be the foundation of each household. God wants all of us to be in a home where a father and mother live together in harmony and love, raising their children together. There are so many broken homes nowadays. This may result from fornication, adultery, alcoholism, or other things. I do understand that there are some instances beyond the family's control, such as death and accidents, that make it impossible to have a father and mother in the home. But for most cases, it can be avoided and should be. The choices we make today effect our families, whether they be current or future families. What are you learning or doing today to better yourself as a father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, or sister? Everyone needs to work together to make a family successful. It does not all lie on the parents...
   Though my family is imperfect, I always feel loved and cared about in my home. Everyone (for the most part) gets along and at the end of the day, we all love each other. The home is the best place to learn about our Savior and God's plan for us. Much of the world uses their homes for yelling, fighting, abusing, and neglecting. We all will be accountable for how we treat our families, as a child and parent, at God's judgement. I know my parents love me, and they taught me so much about my Savior and about His church. I am grateful for them and their example to me. If I didn't have a home support, I do not know where I would be. Probably not wearing a shirt and tie in 92 degrees in North Florida....

No comments:

Post a Comment