Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The World of "Me" and "I"

   We have all heard that pride is the root of all sin. It's true, is it not? When we sin, we are always, in some way, just thinking of ourselves. If someone is drinking, they don't care about other people's opinions, about hurting family and friends, they just want the "buzz" or the "thrill." If someone is committing adultery or fornication, they are only thinking about their own personal pleasure. It all comes back to pride. We live in a world that teaches us that it is OK to think about ourselves, that the world revolves around us. But we know that that is not the case. Alma 38:11 says
 "See that ye are not lifted up unto pride; yea, see that ye do not boast in your own wisdom, nor of your much strength."
   All of us do it. Including myself. I am probably the worst at this, which is why I am studying it this week. Most of the time we think only about ourselves. We have the "what's in it for me?" mentality. We talk about ourselves more than we talk about others. I am as guilty as anyone. But what if we were to stop? Jesus Christ is the perfect example for all of us. What if he just said "Wait a minute, this is way too hard. I am outta here"? We all would be lost, with no hope. And of course, he teaches us to try and be like him. If we are to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father, we must acquire attributes of His Son, Jesus Christ. He always was serving, so selflessly. And you know what they say about service, right? "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17) Prideful people don't serve, prideful people don't put others before themselves. We don't have to lay our lives down for someone or save their life to be serving them. We can do daily things to serve others. There are millions of ways to serve each other. A smile. A greeting. A "how are you today?" Remembering someone's name. Remembering someone's birthday. Find a way to make someone ELSE happy. We make ourselves happy all the time. And it feels good to make someone else happy, doesn't it? Why don't people do it more often? Pride is the root of all sin...
   This is what I have been studying this week. Humility and pride. Humility is one of the Christlike attributes I have the most trouble with. This was for me. Service is the best medicine!

1 comment:

  1. Elder Lee,
    I hardly recognize you when you write, and then you throw some sports reference into it and I know you're still Nick in there somewhere. I can tell you've grown and matured a lot and I'm excited for you. Good luck and may the spirit be with you.
    Your friend,
    Lisa Reid

    ReplyDelete